Current:Home > Stocks2030 World Cup set to be hosted by Spain-Portugal-Morocco with 3 South American countries added -USAMarket
2030 World Cup set to be hosted by Spain-Portugal-Morocco with 3 South American countries added
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 08:59:33
GENEVA (AP) — A unique 2030 World Cup is set to be played in Europe and Africa with the surprising addition of South America in a deal to allow the men’s soccer tournament to start with a 100th birthday party in Uruguay.
FIFA reached an agreement Wednesday between soccer’s continental leaders to accept only one candidate for hosting the 2030 tournament, the sport’s governing body said.
The Spain-Portugal bid grew to add Morocco this year and now also includes long-time bid rivals Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.
A key lure of the unprecedented three-continent project is being able to open in the Uruguayan capital of Montevideo, where the Centenario Stadium hosted the inaugural 1930 World Cup final.
“The centennial World Cup could not be far from South America, where everything began,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of South American soccer body CONMEBOL. “The 2030 World Cup will be played in three continents.”
The consensus reached by once-rival soccer continents also let FIFA fast-track the opening of the 2034 World Cup bidding contest, limited to member federations from Asia and Oceania.
Saudi Arabia has targeted the 2034 edition and Australia also is interested after successfully co-hosting the Women’s World Cup this year with New Zealand. Either way, the 2034 tournament will almost certainly played in November and December — like last year’s World Cup in Qatar.
The FIFA Council’s acceptance of a unified 2030 candidacy still needs formal approval next year at a meeting of the 211 member federations. That should be just a formality.
“In 2030, we will have a unique global footprint, three continents — Africa, Europe and South America — six countries — Argentina, Morocco, Paraguay, Portugal, Spain and Uruguay — welcoming and uniting the world while celebrating together the beautiful game, the centenary and the FIFA World Cup,” FIFA president Gianni Infantino said in a statement.
The 48-team, 104-game tournament scheduled for June-July 2030 is planned to start with games in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay before the action moves to the core host nations Spain, Portugal and Morocco. It involves an unprecedented amount of travel across distances and time zones.
The South American co-host bid has been promoted since the 2018 World Cup in Russia and had included Chile, which was not mentioned Wednesday.
Ukraine was also dropped after it was added to the European bid a year ago at a news conference at UEFA headquarters in Switzerland. However, Ukraine not been mentioned in official comments about the UEFA-backed bid this year.
The first 48-team men’s World Cup will be hosted in 2026 by the United States, Canada and Mexico.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (35)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Dwayne Johnson talks Chris Janson video collab, says he once wanted to be a country star
- North Carolina officer fatally shoots man suspected of killing other man
- Boxer Ryan Garcia misses weight for Saturday fight, loses $1.5 million bet to Devin Haney
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Conditions improve for students shot in Maryland park on ‘senior skip day’
- Man City beats Chelsea with late Silva goal to make FA Cup final while Arsenal tops EPL
- Jury weighs case against Arizona rancher in migrant killing
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Lama Rod describes himself as a Black Buddhist Southern Queen. He wants to free you from suffering.
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- War, hostages, antisemitism: A somber backdrop to this year’s Passover observances
- Looking to submit this year's FAFSA? Here is how the application works and its eligibility
- NBA playoffs 2024: Six players under pressure to perform this postseason
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Get Your Activewear Essentials for Less at Kohl’s, Including Sales on Nike, Adidas, Champions & More
- We're Making a Splash With This Aquamarine Cast Check In
- Mark Zuckerberg Reacts to His Photoshopped Thirst Trap Photo
Recommendation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Tori Spelling Shares She Once Peed in Her Son's Diaper While Stuck in Traffic
Anthony Edwards, Minnesota Timberwolves roll over Phoenix Suns in Game 1
Theater Review: Not everyone will be ‘Fallin’ over Alicia Keys’ Broadway musical ‘Hell’s Kitchen’
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Theater Review: ‘Stereophonic’ is a brilliant ‘Behind the Music’ play on Broadway
Halloweentown Costars Kimberly J. Brown and Daniel Kountz Are Married
California is rolling out free preschool. That hasn’t solved challenges around child care